.243 95 grain balistic silvertip advice

ravhunter

I use the 95 gr. bal. silvertip load for coyotes because it shoots great out of my rifle. Does anyone have any experience using this load or the 90 grain balistic tip on deer? I'd like to have one bullet that I can use for everything.

Hey Rav,

The 95-grain Ballistic was totally designed by Gale Root, Nosler's Chief Ballistician at the time. Gale is a good friend of mine and we have shared many hunting adventures together.

Gale is of the opinion that all cartridge development met its apex when the .243 Winchester became public. Gale uses one cartridge for everything; the .243 Win. And he uses one bullet for anything larger than rockchucks; the 95-grain Ballistic.

He has told me many times that it is the most ballistically-balance bullet, period.

I wish I shared Gale's total confidence in the .243/95-grain Ballistic as an elk slayer. He's killed several big bulls and, I believe a nilgai with it. goes to show you the "fear the man with one rifle" axiom is right.

Deer, even big northern whitetail, with the 95-grain Ballistic? You bet.

I've killed several mulies with the 95-grain Ballistic and a lung shot electrocutes them.

Two years ago, I saw an Alberta hunter kill a 45" moose. The moose simply dropped at the shot and I thought he was shooting a .308 in his Browning BLR I was surprised to learn he was shooting a .243. Bullet; the 95-grain Ballistic.

I think you'll love the 95-grain Nosler Ballistic on deer. If you are a superb shot, like Gale and my Alberta friend, you might even find it is fine on even larger game.

Steve

I don't mean to state the obvious, but the 95-grain Ballistic Silvertip and the 95-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip are precisely the same bullet. The only difference is the Ballistic Silvertip has a black oxide surface.

The black oxide very effectively reduces bullet fouling in the barrel.

Steve

Rav,

Basically, I never pass up an opportunity to help a brother shooter. When asked a question, I'll respond, If I know something. In this case, I happen to know a great deal about the particular bullet.

You can bet that if I am ignorant about something, I'll just be quiet.

I follow the same rules in my writing.

Steve

I am using 95 grain Hornady Super Shock Tips. Are these bullets equal to the Nosler Ballistic Tips, or should I pay a few extra bucks next time and get the Noslers?

Snare,

I have absolutely no experience with the 95-grain Hornadys. Hopefully, some of the fellas on this board will be able to help us out.

Steve

Back